Author Archives: energyprbe

Ontario pulls plug on sale of Hydro One stake

TORONTO — Ontario Premier Ernie Eves scrapped plans on Monday to sell a minority interest in Hydro One, the government-owned power grid, citing the need to protect energy consumers in Canada’s most populous province.

The decision hammered another nail in the coffin of the province’s experiment with electricity deregulation. A court decision last year scuttled plans to sell the entire transmission operation in what would have been Canada’s biggest initial public offering.

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

Ontario decides not to sell part of big hydroelectric utility

All but putting an end to a deregulated electricity market in Canada’s industrial heartland, the government of Ontario said today that it would retain full ownership of Hydro One, the Toronto company that operates one of North America’s biggest transmission networks.

Less than a year ago, the government said that it intended to sell Hydro One through a public offering that would have been the largest in Canadian history, raising an estimated 5 billion Canadian dollars or $3.26 billion.

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

Hydro One left in turmoil

A decision by Ontario Premier Ernie Eves to scrap a partial sale of Hydro One Inc. has raised more uncertainty about the future of the utility and the province’s energy policy, industry observers said yesterday.

"It is possible that some of these people [bidding on the stake] will still come back for other investments of the same type in Ontario," said one investment banker advising on a bid.

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

Hydro bill dodgers may see lights dim

WELLINGTON — Guelph Hydro is about to install load limiters that supply delinquent customers with only enough power to operate a furnace through the cold winter months.

Centre Wellington Hydro is considering following suit with the devices, which connect to hydro meters at the home or office.

Energy Probe executive director Thomas Adams blames the provincial government for fuelling delinquency.

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

Deep freeze

As these words are written at around 4:30 p.m. EST yesterday, the wholesale price of electricity in Ontario is about 10 cents per kilowatt hour. That’s the price paid by wholesale power buyers, including local utilities that run municipal electricity distribution companies. When Toronto Hydro, for example, bought power to supply Canada’s largest city through another cold spell yesterday, it paid an average 10.5 cents through the day. Under the miracle of Premier Ernie Eves’ rigged market, residents of Toronto and the rest of the province pay only 4.3 cents.

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

Record power use runs up tab

January’s cold weather helped drive electricity consumption in Ontario to a record high – and will cost the province $135 million in subsidies to consumers and small businesses.

Ontario businesses and residences gobbled 14.5 million megawatt hours of electricity in January. One megawatt hour is 1,000 kilowatt hours; a kilowatt hour is enough power to illuminate 10 light bulbs of 100 watts each for an hour.

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

Hedging bets

Re "Lifecycle: Electricity Deregulation," January 2003, National Post Business Magazine

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

Safety Cover-Up Alleged at Candu Nuke

An incorrectly installed reactor instrument disabled a crucial nuclear shutdown system at a Candu reactor at the Bruce B nuclear station for several weeks late last year, as British Energy left the Bruce Power partnership (ED, Jan. 7), and there appears to have been a cover-up with regard to the incident.

Tom Adams of public interest group Energy Probe, and some commissioners of the Ottawa-based Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC), question whether the new plant operating partners can maintain nuclear safety as BE leaves. Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

OPG profit falls 69% despite price hike

Despite soaring electricity prices, Ontario Power Generation Inc.’s net profit in 2002 dropped by more than two-thirds and operating income was down 42 per cent, the company’s year-end financial results show.

Chief executive Ron Osborne received a zero bonus last year, down from $752,853 a year earlier, year-end filings released yesterday show.

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment

Tory power plan includes temporary generators

TORONTO – Ontario will set up dozens of portable industrial generators across the province to avoid power shortages this summer, Energy Minister John Baird said Tuesday.

The generators are part of a strategy to add hundreds of megawatts of power to the provincial grid during the summer months.

Last year, a heat wave sent hydro use soaring, prompting the government to warn that brownouts or rolling blackouts could occur.

Other measures announced by Baird include:

Continue reading

Posted in Reforming Ontario's Electrical Generation Sector | Leave a comment