CBC News Online staff
CBC News
June 26, 2003
TORONTO: Canada’s largest province may not make it through the next few months without some power blackouts, according to an environmental research group.
"We got through last summer by just the skin of our teeth, and this summer looks more serious," says Tom Adams, executive director of Energy Probe [pictured left].
Demand is up while supply is far too low, Adams told CBC Newsworld Thursday.
Although the provincial government is encouraging conservation, it’s sending a "conflicting message" by keeping rates frozen, Adams said, adding that unless consumers have to pay more, many won’t bother cutting the use of their air conditioners, fans and other energy-draining devices.
If the weather remains hot, demand will probably outstrip record peaks set last year, Adams predicted. At one point Wednesday, Ontario was using about 25,000 megawatts of electricity – close to an all-time high.
Meanwhile, supply is barely increasing. A large part of the problem is aging power plants, according to Adams.
"Many of them are worn out to the point of mechanical exhaustion," he said. "The system is just breaking down."
In the short term, the government plans to spend about $100 million setting up portable generators. But the temporary, emergency stations won’t be ready for several more weeks.
Ontario Premier Ernie Eves has said he also wants to import more power from neighbouring provinces.







